[RFC] Bastion Detailed Proposal For Treasury Management

Thanks for the clarifications. If you wanna resubmit let me know, I can also edit the pending WIP. Up to you!

The 4x was more in case that this proposal goes up first, but don’t underestimate this community (the good or bad haha)

I honestly thought for a moment there that the Mod Compensation was a done deal.

1 Like

So if the mods budget is zero, four times zero is zero… :thinking:

Guys, if we vote no for the mods budget we will have a treasury manager for 3 months for free!!! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The clarification was well needed and put the proposal in a clearer prospective.

This vote is a 100% YES for me!

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind - I have a few questions that will help me get to know you, your values and your problem solving skills!

What would you say was your biggest trading win and why?

What would you say was your biggest mistake? What did you learn from it?

How do you plan on splitting your time between TM here and other endeavors you may have?

Can you describe the ideal qualities/personality traits that you feel a TM should have?

What would make you question the competency of another TM?

Besides the experience you’ve shared, what sets you apart from other TMs?

How do you handle criticism (constructive and negative)?

If you and Dani disagree on a critical decision for WL. How will you handle it?

How do you decompress after a hard day’s work?

How quickly can we get in touch with you in an emergency? I.e. if something catastrophic happens on WL and you are needed to intervene immediately, what is expected time it should take us to get in touch with you (when I say us, I don’t mean the community, but core team for example)?

What are your opinions on the liquidation cascades that impacted WL? Could they have been prevented? Why/why not?

What are your opinions on how the buybacks were handled in December/January?

What would make you say “I was a successful TM” for WL?

Anything to improve the UX/UI is a great point. These ideas don’t necessarily need to pass through a DAO vote. Enhancements like this are excellent ideas.

I love that you want to contribute to sourcing deals. The idea of putting a team together for this makes total sense. Do you have people in mind for this function or are you looking to find people within the community to fill these roles?
Will these be voluntary or compensated positions?

Super interested to know what you’re looking for here specifically. Is this related to TM activities or do you see these being beyond typical TM functions?

I think in this area we need to optimize the process. The steps need to be clear on how something can evolve from a discussion to an RFC or WIP. There should be basic requirements that need to be respected for that evolution to prevent subjective bias here. Mods should be permitted to contribute at a higher level here.

Personally, I’m fine with the proposal as-is, but I think some in the community might be a little off-put by the 6 figure monthly price tag before you’ve turned a profit.
Would you consider a lower base rate with the performance bonus tied to profitability metrics? For example – growing treasury by x% by Y date = performance bonus of Z?

I’ve got more questions/comments, but I’ll save them for later.

1 Like

I would vote yes here too.

1 Like

I like this proposal and the possibility of having a treasury management focused on results.

We really are a strong community and we have great potential, with the right people in the right places we will certainly genuinely ascend.

Thanks for the proposal.

2 Likes

I think you have valid questions and I hope they respond, soon

1 Like

Lets get these questions answered:

What would you say was your biggest trading win and why?

In general, its just being in crypto at the right time in 2017/18 and 2021 and riding the wave.
Buying Solana in the 15-35 range was great for example directionally.

Over time, its been harder to single out which was the “biggest” win. Its a numbers game, and there’s wins and losses. I’d say the most satisfying ones was from the result of good research that no one else had thought of.

What would you say was your biggest mistake? What did you learn from it?
Taking excessive risk on a few things in the past and losing big either cutting it or just riding it down to being rekt. Sadly, it took more a couple times to learn this.

How do you plan on splitting your time between TM here and other endeavors you may have?
I do have other endeavors, but I also have people to look after them and a team to look at WL Treasury too. This is a large portfolio that a lot can be done, and its exciting. I’m going to spending a lot of time on this Treasury.

Can you describe the ideal qualities/personality traits that you feel a TM should have?
Common Sense and Intelligence are probably two biggest qualities. Personality traits - open mindedness and being humble. Someone quite introspective as well. These lead to long term trading/portfolio management success.

What would make you question the competency of another TM?
Its losses or lack of profits that can’t really be explained. Sometimes great ideas lead to bad results and thats fine. Its where its apparent that not alot of thought is put into trading/new idea research/risk management. It shows.

Besides the experience you’ve shared, what sets you apart from other TMs?
Take this proposal even - No one serious has wanted to touch this: to figure out the situation beyond some doxxing of someone who did nothing wrong. I really try to keep an open mind, and take risks that are good but no-one else seems to want to take.

How do you handle criticism (constructive and negative)?
It comes with the job. Constructive ones, and offer a solution are greatly appreciated. I’m going to expect quite a bit on this one - 200,000 addresses, there’s no way everyone will be happy - so i’m expect that a lot of those that don’t offer much i’ll have to ignore as well.

If you and Dani disagree on a critical decision for WL. How will you handle it?
I’d think we’re reasonable people and we can find a compromise. I think a critical decision anyways, should be up for a DAO vote - and I’ll execute the will of the DAO.

How do you decompress after a hard day’s work?
Its always nice to have a beer at the end of the day - but I think its the same as any normal person. Managing a treasury or portfolio I admit after all these years doesn’t stress me. Sadly, I think though people do, but I’m getting used that too. B

How quickly can we get in touch with you in an emergency? I.e. if something catastrophic happens on WL and you are needed to intervene immediately, what is expected time it should take us to get in touch with you (when I say us, I don’t mean the community, but core team for example)?
I’ll make arrangements that I’m contactable generally all the time. There’s other DAO team members as well, who can intervene - so I’m confident this can be managed.

What are your opinions on the liquidation cascades that impacted WL? Could they have been prevented? Why/why not?
Hindsight is always 20/20 - so in hypothetically, yeah they could have been prevented. But - I don’t think its fair to really opine on this.

What are your opinions on how the buybacks were handled in December/January?
Buybacks are good for holders. Sadly for a lot reasons they were stopped at the end of Jan.

What would make you say “I was a successful TM” for WL?
I’m only a numbers-results kind of person. So:

1. A consistent increase in the treasury backing per WMEMO
  2. A price above treasury backing
  3. Increase in the inflow of coins to increase the overall treasury.
5 Likes

Thank you! You got my vote.

1 Like

A couple of things I would like Wonderland and the proposal to address:

OVERSIGHT: Who is watching the Treasury Manager?
Bastion is an external party and under this proposal given control of a large treasury.

One concern is that Bastion personnel will front-run Wonderland Treasury buys on their own Bastion accounts for profit - enter before Wonderland buys, price goes up, then dump for profit.

Will Wonderland have transparency over Bastion’s Addresses and will someone at Wonderland be delegated with Forensic Examination of their on-chain activity?
Should examination of suspicious activity demonstrate that Bastion is likely behaving untoward, (including likely not disclosed all addresses under their control or influence) it should lead to termination of agreement and loss of any distribution.

INCENTIVE
The Incentive structure with a high water mark makes sense. I would even propose a higher percentage for overachievement above 2nd highwater mark. 5% then going to 8% for extreme positive results. These are both high btw!

But to align interest with Wonderland more closely, I would like to see a Carried Interest function baked into the proposal.
A significant percentage of the External Treasury Managers Performance Fee Earnings should be held back and re-invested along with Wonderlands. This is typical in TradFi private equity management.
These retained earning are reinvested along with Wonderland Funds and distributed at some future time (1 or 2 year rolling, not 5yr like PE) along with gains made those earnings.
Should Bastion do anything untoward, this carried interest will be forfeit.

Any Wonderland and Treasury Manager agreement should incentivise success and build multiple lines of revenue (from stables, farming, VC and others). It should also structure an agreement to account for untoward circumstances also, and mitigate for those risks.

Any proposal should have the protection of Wonderlands interest’s at it center, without any elements of a giveaway, without recourse.

Proposal has now moved to WIP.

https://dao.wonderland.money/t/wip-7-theskyhopper-bastion-treasury-management/17337/